Sunday, February 15, 2009

Freedom: are we entitled to it?

Our discussions in class about freedom and rights, whether natural or political, led me to think about freedom in the United States, and how I personally perceive it. I recognize that this is a popular subject about which to blog, but it is one that I have some definite opinions about and felt the need to elaborate about them. The phrase in the Declaration of Independence, "we hold these truths to be self-evident" is one that does not settle well with me because it has lead to what I believe is a lack of appreciation in Americans. People feel that they are entitled to the freedoms that come with living in America, and believe that regardless of their actions, they will always have such freedoms. What I am trying to say is that people expect and assume that they will always have the right to freedom, and do not stop and acknowledge the fact that they are so lucky and blessed. And when situations arise where people's freedoms need to be curtailed to a certain extent to protect the greater freedom of the United States as a whole, people get extremely angry and upset. In a time of war, for example, I believe that some aspects of freedom must be limited to ensure the survival of freedom as a whole, but I understand that there are many who disagree. It seems as though people are so quick to point fingers when a freedom has been taken away, but they do not stop and take the time to thank the people who work so hard to protect and ensure these freedoms. What I am ultimately trying to say, in an extremely circuitous way, is that the freedom that we have in the United States is not something we are entitled to, per se, but rather is a gift, and something that we should be thankful for every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment