Sunday, March 22, 2009

Choice vs. freedom

Up until recently, I made the mistake that many do, believing that choice and freedom were interconnected - that if someone had more than one option and the ability to choose between the two, then they were exercising freedom and thus were uninhibited. I know now that just because one seemingly has a choice does not necessarily mean that they are free, and there is a spectrum with "forced choosing" at one end and "free choosing" at the other, illustrating this discrepancy. What I would like to discuss a little more, though, is the idea of forced choosing. When one is faced with a choice where there is not a reasonable or acceptable alternative and thus they technically do not have a choice, it is a forced choice. But if you are to take a step back from that, and ask yourself the question, "why are these people faced with a situation where they do not have a reasonable or acceptable alternative?" it gets trickier. For example, the person who is faced with the "choice" (this word has a false connotation to it now for for me) of either working at a fast food restaurant or starving really does not have a option and will choose working at the fast food option, but it begs the question, why are there people out there who are faced with such a one-way street? I know that blaming people is never the answer, but I cannot help but blame out society for allowing people to be in such a situation where their only other option is starving. I understand that work is work, and that working at a fast food restaurant is better than not working at all, but to think that some people are put between such a wall and a hard place is truly terrible. I'm not saying that I know what the solution is, because I don't, but merely expressing my discontent with the idea of forced choosing and the consequent lack of freedom that goes along with it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this idea of forced choice has been influenced by society. It seems today that no idea of choice is free anymore because all the choices we make are influence by what we have created to be a part of this "system". The system seems to make choices for us and makes us pick and choose what's available, so it seems that we don't have free choice. And it is very hard to think that most people on this earth are put up against this invisible wall and asked to pick between life or death. I mean this idea of working in a fast food restaurant is not life or death, but at the same token this could be the only way people can survive in society today. I agree that this is hard and difficult to think about and it's really sad that there is not a set solution to fit this problem.

    ReplyDelete